Pages

December 17 1812: Prevost Reports

On December 17 1812, Sir George Prevost, in Quebec, writes to Lord Bathurst.
Sir George Prevost to Lord Bathurst.Headquarters, Quebec, 17th December, 1812. (No. 30.)
My Lord,—I have the honor to transmit herewith for Your Lordship's information the copy of despatches I have just received express from Major General Sheaffe commanding in Upper Canada containing a report of another attack made by the enemy on the 28th ulto. upon the Niagara frontier between the posts of Chippawa and Fort Erie, which I have the satisfaction of announcing, to have been repulsed in a manner highly creditable to His Majesty's army and the militia employed upon the occasion, with trifling loss.
The enemy has suffered considerably in killed and wounded, and one captain, (King,) and 38 men were taken prisoners.
The particulars of this affair are detailed in General Sheaffe's despatches, and the report accompanying them from Lieut.-Colonel Bisshopp, who, with the force under his orders, was more immediately engaged with the enemy, and to which I beg leave to refer Your Lordship.
I have to lament that Lieutenant King of the Royal Artillery and Lieutenant Lamont of the 49th Regiment have been wounded severely; the former fell into the hands of the enemy, but I trust will have been released.
I annex for Your Lordship's further information a copy of the general order which I have in consequence directed to be published to the army under my command.(Canadian Archives, Q. 119, p. 112.)

No comments:

Post a Comment