Pages

December 15 1812: Byron to Fox

On December 15 1812, Lord Byron writes to Henry Fox. Byron is at the Oxfords’ country house.
My dear Fox - Your letter arrived just as I was setting out in the full hope of having “an agreeable companion in a Post Chaise” & I passed through Oxford at an hour when you were not likely to be found to hear my useless regrets. – After skaiting up a perpendicular road I arrived here & found every body well were not like I found to hear my useless regrets. – After skaiting up a perpendicular road I arrived here & found every body well except ye. Lady Jane who is laid up with the stiffest of all possible necks, but it is now just beginning to turn upon it’s hinges though rather rustily. – I thank you for yr. inclosed letter & cannot sufficiently admire the device of your seal, which passed the inspection of all the family before it came into my hands. – We are all marvellously impatient for your coming & none more than yrs. ever sincerely

Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment