Pages

March 2 1812: Aaron Burr

For March 2, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:  
2.          Slept none till past 4. Rose at 7 and found I had slept enough. Sor. at 1/2 p. 9. To Gonin, the enameller. You have had his name in various ways, but this is right, for I copied it from a medal. Not yet at his shop. He is a lazy dog, though good-natured and ingenious. Went then to his house. The girl said he was gone out. Told her I knew better, and that if he would not come down to me, I would go up to him. This brought a message from him that he was a little indisposed and not yet up, but would be at his shop at 1/2 p. 11. To Dessaules's. He has not yet done the affair, but would certainly do it this day. Then across the park to Reeves's, to demand passport in the name of Adolphus Arnot. He begged me to make application in writing, which did at his table, and he promised to send the passport. Then back to Gonin's. Found him, and we repaired the broken dent in about half an hour, and beautifully. Certes [Certainly] have walked more than one hundred miles in vain endeavors to have this done. Home for an hour. No, called first at Humbert's where met J. H., but the ring-watch not done. On my way home tried to pawn the picture-watch, but the rascal would only give 4 pounds. So went on sans sous, for I had given my two halfpence to Gonin's little girl. Forgot to say that at Reeves's got a letter from V. D. L., dated Paris, January 30th, and I thought the fellow long since in the United States. He heard that the ship Vigilant was lost, and that we were all drowned, and writes to inquire of me whether it be true. On my arrival home, near 1, found a note from J. Bentham, enclosing a letter for me from Robert Morris 3 , requesting an interview, and permission to ask my advice about some matters depending on the laws of the United States. I could not refuse to see the face of my old friend, whatever might be his situation. So wrote a note appointing 12 to-morrow at Q.S. P. [Queen' Square Place] To Graves's, where met his father, as agreed, that we might go together to Lancaster's school. D. M. R. came in and went with us. It is about 1 1/2 miles over the river. Staid an hour, and was very greatly interested and pleased. A lad of 15 years of age who four years ago did not know his letters, instructs 1,000 (a thousand) boys in reading, writing and arithmetic. And those boys learn more in a month than, in the ordinary mode, is learned in a year. And yet they appear to be constantly running about, and are all cheerful, as if at play. No rods, or whips, or ferules. No boy is to be struck. But I have bought for you some, and shall buy all, of the books explanatory of this new mode of instruction. The expense is about 5 shillings and 6 pence per annum for each boy, including all contingencies of fuel, books, stationery, slates, &c., &c. In another room are 300 girls, taught by one of about 14 years old, in the same mode. But this was prettier. Am to go again this week. Was sorry not to have had one halfpenny. Got home at 5; had eaten some dumplings or pudding at Graves's at 2. Now took my coffee, and at 6 went off to Charing Cross to leave my note for R. Morris. Have been the whole evening assorting and riling papers.Now strikes 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment