Pages

March 1, 1812: Aaron Burr

For March 1, 1812, Aaron Burr in London wrote the following entry in his private journal:  
London, March 1, 1812. Sor. at 1/2 p. 10 to Elms's, dentist, Leicester Square. He acknowledged with admiration the superiority of Fonzi's work; he will take my proposals into consideration, and give a written answer on Wednesday. To Dessaules's. He undertook cheerfully the little, troublesome, capricious changes which 1 desire to make. To Humbert's, where expected to meet J. H., but not there. Then away to George street, Portland Place, to see J. Lawrence, author of the "Kingdom of the Nairs"; but the address was falsely given, for there is no such number as 44. On my return, passing the door of Madame Thorpe, I called, and was quite surprised that she should seem so very glad to see me, for my last visit was so triste that I did not think of repeating it; for no one shall ever say that I was de trop 1 or ennuied them with my visits. She said she had sent repeatedly to inquire for me, and to invite me, but could not find my address; that she desired to introduce me to Mr. 4, late governor of Sierra Leone, who desired greatly to see me. Home. Smoked and read the papers an hour, and then to Godwin's, where Madame had engaged me to dine. Seeing there was time before dinner, went to Graves's, where found a card from Achaud, and a message that he would be very glad to see me, which I don't believe, for he would not have been a fortnight returning my visit, and would have answered my note or sent an invitation. But do not regret the loss of his acquaintance, for Madame et les petits enfant were the only persons of the family who amused me. Returned to Godwin's and dined en famille. After dinner, walked with Fanny and Jane to see the bust of Milton, and the spot where he was interred in church  [The Church of St. Giles, Cripplegate]. There is no monument, and the bust is placed several yards from his place of interment. Returned with the girls, and then came home without tea, preferring it at home my own fashion, and wishing to go through with the assorting of papers began last evening. Have been working till now, 1/2 p. 2 ; but as I have been drinking freely of high-burned coffee, fear a vigil 1 night, and, therefore, you owe me no great thanks this time. M.J.G. thinks she can dispose of the ring-watch for me. Shall put it into her hands to-morrow, if I can get it. But the wind has most maliciously come East, which is fair for vessels to go out, and I am greatly distressed lest the ship for New Orleans, in which I had hoped to have sailed, should have gone, for this was her day of sailing from Liverpool. Yet it would be the first example since Noah of a vessel sailing on the appointed day. I will continue my preparations, i.e. try to get money. Have not had a penny (yes, my two half-pennies) since yesterday morning, and no hope of one to-morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment